Sunday 18 January 2015

My Pet, My First Child :)


Many people find it absurd that I address my dog as my child. Considering the fact that I have found love like no other with my pet, I feel privileged to address him as my child. 

I still vividly remember the day I brought him home. He was a little abandoned puppy in a forest area. He had other siblings who were all lucky enough to be adopted. This one, the cutest of the lot, was left behind. It was 9.30 P.M. and the temperature was 12 degrees. I was well protected to handle the harsh, cold weather. My little one was yelping and shivering because of the cold, fear and loneliness. I wished I could take him home. A pet is too much of a responsibility I thought. "Just walk away", I told myself. I turned away, but then, I heard him yelp again. There were no second thoughts. I decided to follow my instincts and take him home. I searched for him under the bushes with the help of the light from my phone. He seemed petrified. I picked up the shivering little one and put him under my warm overcoat and held him close to my chest. "You don't have to worry, baby. I will take care of you!" I promised him. 

As I walked back to my forest house, people on the way were curious to know what I was holding under my overcoat. I showed them the little scared puppy. He was too frightened to have so many people looking at him. He din't understand where he was or what was going to happen. He was lost without his siblings. Having moved into the house newly, I hardly had enough of things to make a comfortable bed for him. The 'pocha' (cloth used for swabbing) was the best I could find to keep him warm. A jam container was used as his saucer for milk. He gulped the milk which I carefully mixed with equal parts of water. He had another serve before he felt satisfied. I put him in the hall and went away to my bedroom to sleep, only to realize he followed me. I decided to shift his bed near my bed. Well he was not satisfied. He wanted to sleep with my hand over him. He wanted to feel safe and secure. At first it was seemed cute but after a point, I was not comfortable. I did something that was never acceptable by my parents. I took him and put him on my bed and let him sleep near me like a baby. Considering the climate outside we were both cozy with the warmth from each others bodies. We slept like a new mother and child just happy to be with each other. 

Later that night, he was nudging me again making weird sounds. I did not understand what he wanted. I tried putting him on the floor and saw he was happy. I was too sleepy to be bothered what he was doing. Being a new mother, I dint really know what was in store. Next morning I woke up to a room full of poop and pee. "What have you done to yourself?", I thought aloud. I had to dodge my way out to the bathroom. There the little one stands and looks at me with those cute puppy eyes. "Don't look at me like that! I am angry with you! Look at what you have done.", I yelled at him. Ah! those cute puppy eyes knew how to win my heart.

Thus, began my journey into motherhood. I loved and hated it at the same time. My days started with cleaning up poop, fixing breakfast for the little one and making sure he has it. I had to adjust my timings for all the additional work I had brought upon myself. I was trying different methods to potty train him while I did the dirty job of cleaning up after him. But the joy of having him follow me to work, wait outside my office till I was done for the day and coming back home to a happy soul joyfully wagging his tail at the sight of me was priceless. To have a cuddly little pet of your own, who is ever ready to play, full of energy and with cuteness overloaded - the best one could ask for while living alone. Life was complete with my new bundle of joy!

That sad puppy face that could make me forgive instantly!


Wait and watch this space for more posts on my furry bundle of joy :)

4 comments:

  1. wow... grt jane... really interesting while reading your experience... so nice to see your relationship with your puppy dog as mom and child. this made me to remember my puppy dog when i was small had spent long time.. urged to complete my examination to spend more time with my puppy.. really made me to remember a lot..

    thank you again jane.. keep posing like this..

    Rathna Deepak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely read. Such a neatly derived post with enormous emotions. Dogs are a beautiful and lovely creatures one can ever have in their life. They are caring, lovable, friendly and even trustworthy, but humans, you know it!

    I completely enjoyed reading this post. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete