Monday 9 February 2015

Love has no words, no barriers =)

It's Valentines Day !!

Nah... just another day at work. Or at least that's what I thought it was going to be. The day goes by and there is nothing eventful until I meet one of my kids while I was getting ready to leave office for the day. She had that guilty look on her face after the tiff we had the previous day over her misbehavior. She is not able to speak, she doesn't hear what I'm saying. She is a hearing and speech impaired child! The immediate picture that comes to one's mind will be a sorry looking young child who knows not how to survive. That's where people go wrong. The thing about people with disability is that they know how best to use the senses they have. They do not worry about what they don't have. The thought of not being 'normal' might disturb them at some point in life, but it never stops them from carrying on with their life.

So back to my special Valentine's day story. This kid decided to play a prank on me. She hides a little white roll of something in the palm of hands. Waves her hands with that hidden piece of paper rolled in her hands. Her girlfriends play along. They tell her not to show whatever it is to me. Ok, I figured so much, it was something personal and she was not going to share it with me so easily. Now, being the person responsible for these young adolescent girls, my mind races with the usually stereotypical thoughts. Maybe its a love letter that one of them got from one of their boyfriends. Maybe one of them wrote a letter to some boy. OMG! The panic button in my brain switches on. I must find out what it is. I must know what these little ones are doing behind my back. Ironically, I am a 20 something young lady, who has had her own fair share of such cheap thrills not very long ago. This little one reads my mind magically and decides to tease me a little more. She almost hands over the paper roll to me, but no, she doesn't! She decides to sprint out of my office. I chase her, I have decided to identify what mischief she has been up to. Talk about the energy these kids have at the end of the day, I ran about half a kilometer before she finally let me catch up with her. She thinks she has had enough fun and finally hands over the roll to me.

I am thoroughly surprised at how she suddenly gave in to me willingly. I take the roll and slowly open it watching her reactions at the same time. She had the same one sided mischievous smile she always gives me. I opened the roll and found a simple yet very beautiful 'heart face' painted neatly on the front. It was a Valentine's Day card! For who, I wonder? And on the inside I found written ''Happy Love Day Didi" in her child like handwriting. I was dumbstruck. No words to express my emotions. I just smiled at her vaguely for a few seconds before I grabbed her in my arms and hugged her tight. This was the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me. She enjoyed the attention she received from me. It was around 6 pm, she had to get back home, I had to lock my office and get back home too. She walked away, turned around, flashed her mischevieous smile again, nodded her head while shaking her fist clenched with only her index finger pointing at me. What she meant to say was 'Gotcha!' Hahaha! I did fall for her prank, only to be sweetly surprised.



My day was made. Who said Valentine's day is only for couples in love? Who said Valentine's day is boring if you are at work in a village? I just had the best Valentine moment of my life. I am pretty sure, no man can ever surprise me the way she did. Caught me unaware and showed me what love was without saying a single word.

Dedicated to the little angel who brightened up my days in that lonely little world :)

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I dont really believe in Valentines day, but the moment you had was something that even true lovers won't get. What a lovely way to enjoy the day! Truly romantic. And loved your cool style of writing. I can literally visualize the moments while reading. Simply wonderful.

    ReplyDelete